Monday, July 7, 2008

What I do for kicks

I was at an organic wine tasting for Earth Day.
The guy across from me was a Chemical Engineer.
He approached his wine tasting like the chemistry lab--talking about viscosity and such.

As we got more into the vino we started chatting more.
He asked about my work.
Usually I keep it vague unless I feel like pushing the envelope a bit.
I went for it.

Me: "I study sex workers in Zanzibar."
Him: Gulp. "You're talking about prostitutes."
Me: "Yep. Sex workers is the way we refer to it."
Him: "Well, how do you do that? I mean is it observational?"
Me: "As opposed to participatory? No, I don't sell sex. Nor do I watch others sell sex. So, no I wouldn't call it observational."
Him: (the brightest, reddest face I've seen on anyone in AGES!) "I kind of set myself up for that, didn't I?"
Me: Uh-huh. Cheers.

No comments: