Wednesday, September 3, 2008

taxes, Jesus, food and firearms

I left town for Hurricane Gustav, but now I'm back in New Orleans.
This time I returned to a much better outcome than after Katrina.
Only thing amiss in my neighborhood is debris from trees.
I have electricity in the condo and all is well.

For the evacuation, I took a traveling circus to North Mississippi: an Ethiopian, a pit bull and a Californian.
A couple of days later we were joined by another Californian and a New Yorker.
I was the only southerner, so I served as cultural interpreter.
That's a full time job when you're spending five days in MS.

I could elaborate, but the headlines from The Rankin County, MS newspaper say it more succinctly than I could:
  • City Council announces tax cut plan
  • Prayer breakfast kicks off Muscadine Jubilee
  • 4th Grader displays pistol
That sums up North Mississippi better than any tour brochure I've ever come across.

Thanks to all who cheered for New Orleans in the storm and checked in to see how I was doing.
I'm 'mighty fine', as my Father likes to say.
Fortunately, this go round, so is my city.

No comments: